Joe concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning, estate and long-term care planning, and land conservation planning. He counsels clients on estate and income tax savings techniques, including the most tax efficient ways to transfer wealth and family businesses through multiple family generations. Joe also helps families preserve assets through advanced planning for their long-term care needs. Joe frequently represents trustees and banks in their service as fiduciaries in the settlement of complex estates and beneficiary disputes.
Joe has extensive experience with probate and trust administration and litigation, and he represents clients in court on contested and uncontested matters. He is a frequent speaker on topics related to wealth transfer strategies, tax planning and probate matters.
Joe has represented clients who need expertise to liquidate and/or sell family and non-family businesses, landowners who are in the negotiation of their land conservation easement planning and he has handled several of the largest land conservation acquisitions in Rhode Island.
- Roger Williams University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Rhode Island, B.A., high distinction
- Rhode Island
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Tax Court
WHELAN CORRENTE & FLANDERS LLP
Partner (February 2021 – Present)
ADLER POLLOCK & SHEEHAN P.C.
Shareholder (2011 – 2021)
BURNS & LEVINSON LLP
Partner (2007 – 2011)
CORRIEIRA AND IACONO, LLP
Associate (2006 – 2007)
SAYER REGAN THAYER
Associate (1999 – 2005)
GIDLEY SARLI AND MARUSAK, LLP
Associate (1998 – 1999)
- Recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for his high caliber work in Litigation – Trusts and Estates and Trusts and Estates.
- 2022 Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” award recipient for Trusts and Estates in Providence
- 2022 Best Lawyers “Recognized for Excellence” in Trusts and Estates
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Trusts & Estates, 2013 – present
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Wills, Trusts and Estates, Rhode Island Monthly, 2019, 2020
- Recognized as a “JD Supra Top Author” in the JD Supra 2017 – 2020 Readers’ Choice Awards
- Named by Rhode Island Monthly and Rhode Island Business Quarterly as a “2011 – 2014 Five Star Wealth Manager”
- Selected as a 2014 – 2023 Rhode Island Super Lawyer and as a Rhode Island Rising Star 2011 – 2013 by the publishers of Super Lawyers
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys – Member of Massachusetts Chapter
- Professional Affiliate Member (PAM), Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, New York Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Committee on Probate and Trusts
- Member, Rhode Island Estate Planning Council
- Member, Past Member Rhode Island Foundation, Professional Advisory Council
- Past Member, Board of Governors, Catholic Foundation of Rhode Island
- Past Member, University of Rhode Island Alumni Association, Board of Directors, Finance Committee
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURESHIPS
- Speaker, 2022 Rhode Island Bar Association’s Annual Meeting on the topic of Estate Planning for Rhode Island Residents and Florida Snowbirds
- Speaker, USLAW NETWORK’s Virtual Retreat “Short Takes” Video, Trusts, Estates and Business Planning for 2021 and Beyond
- Speaker, Wills and Trusts 101, National Business Institute, June 2019
- Rhode Island Professionals Day, Speaker, Partnering with a Corporate Fiduciary, sponsored by The Financial Planning Association of R.I., The R.I. Chapter of the Society of Financial Service Professionals and the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, May 10, 2019
- Marcum Accountants and Advisors, Speaker for Year End Tax Seminar, November 2018
- Lifespan Planned Giving Society, Featured Presenter, May 2018
- Sole presenter, The Future of Special Needs Trusts Under the Affordable Care Act, NBI, November 2015
- Advanced Family Law, NBI, September 2014
- Top Estate Planning Techniques, NBI, June 6, 2013
- Financial Planning Association of Rhode Island – Planning for Special Needs Beneficiaries, April 9, 2013
- Donors Remorse – Reversing 2012 Gifts, Boston Bar Association, February 22, 2013
- Estate Planning Update, Rhode Island Society of CPAs, January 19, 2012
- Sophisticated Probate Strategies, NBI, December 9, 2012
- Moderator, 2011 Rhode Island Estate Planning and Elder Law: A Review of New Federal and State Estate Tax and Medicaid Qualification Changes, Rhode Island Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2011
- “Don’t Let Taxes Decide Your Business Future, “ Providence Business News, June 15, 2009
- “Long-term Care Planning Essential in Tough Times, “ Providence Business News, November 17, 2008
- Rhode Island Forest Conservator’s Organization, Inc., Seminar, December 12, 2011
- Demystifying Asset Protection Vehicles, NBI, April 17, 2008
CHARITABLE AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Board of Directors for John Clarke Senior Living Center in Middletown, RI
- The Fort Adams Trust in Newport RI, Board of Trustees (2021 – present)
- The Rhode Island Land Trust Council, Board of Directors (2021 – present)
- Rhode Island Planned Giving Council
- Past Member, Board of Directors, The James L. Maher Center
- Little Compton Community Center, Board of Directors (1997 – 2007)
- Little Compton Agricultural Conversancy Trust, Vice Chairperson (1998 – 2007)
2014 – 2023
Estate Planning Newsletter
Sign up to have our e-newsletter delivered directly to your inbox.
Each month, Joseph Marion III will send you articles to keep you informed.
Your information is confidential; you can unsubscribe at any time.