Owen’s practice is focused in general corporate and transactional work including business formation, governance, and employment and incentive equity arrangements. He counsels clients in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, start-up and early round debt financing and equity investments (including venture capital and private equity), commercial negotiations, sales and corporate restructurings. He has experience drafting governance documents for all entity types and has conducted extensive legal due diligence across multiple industries. Owen also has experience on private company transactions with enterprise values ranging to $750M.
Since joining the Firm, Owen has expanded his practice into government relations, providing clients services ranging from strategic advice to written advocacy and oral testimony on public relations, legislative monitoring and interpretation, issue identification, networking, and securing federal and state appropriations and government contracts.
Prior to his legal career, Owen co-founded Blackstone Bees, LLC, and was a beekeeper. There, he drafted the company’s formation papers, spearheaded efforts to raise seed capital, and negotiated lease arrangements for the site of beekeeping operations. He gained valuable firsthand experience in entrepreneurialism and drafted a successful grant application under the Local Agriculture and Seafood Act (LASA) grant program.
- Boston College Law School, JD
- Honors: Ann and Raymond Mancini Law Scholarship Recipient
- Activities: Negotiation and Client Counseling Competitions, Fall 2015
- Dartmouth College, BA
- Honors: Brad Faxon Scholarship Recipient; Earl J.R. Beatty 1909 Memorial Scholarship Recipient; Citation in Humanities 01 (for superb critical thinking and literary analysis), Intercollegiate Studies Institute Honors Program Scholar, 2012-2013
- Activities: Varsity Men’s Golf (4 Year Letter Winner); Alpha Delta Fraternity
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
WHELAN CORRENTE & FLANDERS LLP
Associate (July 2021 – Present)
LOCKE LORD, LLP
Associate (Fall 2018 – July 2021)
HON. WILLIAM P. ROBINSON, III, R.I. SUPREME COURT
Judicial Intern (Jan-May – 2017)
HON. JOHN J. MCCONNELL, JR., U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF RHODE ISLAND
Judicial Intern (June-Aug – 2016)
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Committee
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association’s Business Organizations Committee
- Rhode Island Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURESHIPS
Co-Author: Locke Lord QuickStudy: “Delaware Decision Limits Coverage of D&O Insurance Policies,” (2019)